Dark circles and eye bags: Causes, types and treatments.
The dark circles and eye bags are the consequence of different factors. Among them, lack of sleep, tobacco use, fluid retention, some foods high in salt, or the use of some cosmetics. It can also be caused by medications or allergies.
What are the causes of dark circles under the eyes?
Although the most common causes of dark circles under the eyes have to do with lack of sleep or the diet that we follow in our day to day, we also find risk factors such as age, genetics and non-white ethnic groups.
Most common reasons for dark circles:
- Hyperpigmentation: occurs when the body produces more melanin than usual in the area under the eyes.
- Poor sleeping habits and/or lack of sleep. Weakening of the skin under the eyes.
- Iron deficiency anemia.
- Consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
- Genetic inheritance.
Genetics: studies have shown that dark circles have been found in several members of the same family.
Ethnic groups: In some non-white ethnic groups with darker skin tones, dark circles are more present due to skin pigmentation.
Ageing: Over the years and during the aging process, the skin weakens, which causes the appearance of dark circles.
Types of dark circles and how to recognize them:
Pigmented dark circles: are usually black or brown.
Vascular dark circles: are purple or blue dark circles due to problems with micro-blood circulation.
Dark circles by furrow: sunken dark circles and can have different shades.
How can we reduce or eliminate dark circles?
- Have a balanced diet and sleep the necessary hours are some of the main tips to reduce dark circles.
- Avoid strict diets, which contribute to iron deficiency anemia, and consume green leafy vegetables rich in this nutrient.
- Avoid foods rich in fats and sugars that influence the appearance of dark circles.
- Eliminate tobacco and alcohol consumption.
- Also reducing the long hours spent in front of the computer or cell phone since staring for so long increases the pigmentation of dark circles.
What are the causes of bags under the eyes?
Inflammation under the eyes is very common as we age. They are more related to age and lack of hydration. Over the years, the muscles that support the eyelids weaken and the fat moves towards the bottom of the eyes. Fluid can also accumulate and retain in this part, thus increasing swelling under the eyes.
Most common reasons for eye bags:
- Poor sleeping habits and/or lack of sleep.
- Allergies and some medications.
- Tobacco (smoking) and alcohol consumption.
- Fluid retention (edema), especially when we get up in the morning or after a meal high in salt.
How can we reduce eye bags?
- Sleeping with the pillow slightly raised prevents fluid retention that causes the appearance of bags under the eyes.
- Reduce salt and sodium in the diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Get enough sleep.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
- Caring for the skin
Treatments to eliminate dark circles and eye bags:
The skin around the eyes is very delicate and there are different types of treatments for its care, some of them homemade, such as cucumber slices, tea bags or cold compresses to reduce swelling.
In our online store we have professional treatments with regenerators at the cellular level that help eliminate dark circles and eye bags. We leave them below:
Biocomplex: cell regenerator that reduces puffiness and dark circles. Reduces inflammation, wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes.
Collagen eye contour repair cream: reduces the puffiness of the eye bags and lightens dark circles and accelerates hydration.Stem Peptones: Complex of polypeptides that provide vital elements for organic balance. .